Veterans and Dependents Benefits FAQs | Minneapolis College of Art and Design

Veterans and Dependents Benefits FAQs

I have GI Bill® benefits to use for tuition and fees. How do I use them?

To be able to use your GI Bill® benefits, you will need to provide documentation of your benefits to the School Certifying Official at MCAD, Carrie Ramsey (Records Office). Most often, this will need to be in the form of a copy of a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once the School Certifying Official has the appropriate documentation, they can certify your benefits for use in the following semester.

What is the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and how do I get it?

The Certificate of Eligibility provides a detailed explanation of your benefits (including your benefit percentage, months of eligibility, etc.). To obtain your COE, you will need to complete the Veteran’s Online Application ( Upon completing the application, the VA will mail your COE to your home address (Please allow 2–4 weeks for your COE to arrive).

I used my benefits at another school prior to attending MCAD. Do I need to let the VA know?

Yes, you will need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form (VA Form 22-1995).

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program and how do I qualify?

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows colleges and universities to contribute a specified amount toward an eligible student’s tuition and fees. In general, to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be eligible for the maximum benefit (100% benefit rate) under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33).

Are my books and/or housing costs covered by my GI Bill® benefits?

It depends on your designated GI Bill® chapter and your specific qualifications. Typically benefit recipients will receive a stipend for books and supplies and some will also receive a monthly housing allowance. This will be detailed on your COE.

How are my benefits paid out?

This will depend on your specified benefit program. For example, under Chapter 33, benefit funding for tuition and fees is paid directly to the school.  Under Chapter 35, monthly payments are provided directly to recipients upon verifying enrollment every month.

I’m very confused about the whole process. What do I do?!

Please contact the MCAD School Certifying Official with any questions or concerns related to your GI Bill® benefits. The process can be confusing and MCAD is happy to help.

Benefit Checklist

  • Obtain documentation (i.e. COE, NOBE, etc.) of your benefit eligibility. This can be done by completing the Veteran’s On-Line Application or by requesting documentation through your unit.
  • Provide a copy of the documentation of your benefits to the MCAD School Certifying Official prior to the semester where you would like to use them. Please keep the original for your own documentation.
  • Check your email for further instruction on any additional forms that you may need to submit.
  • Once everything is completed, the School Certifying Official will let you know that you are in good standing for the upcoming semester and your benefits will be certified.

Important Links

  • Veterans Online Application
    Application most GI Bill® recipients will need to complete to obtain a COE.
  • GI Bill® FAQ's
    General questions regarding the GI Bill® can be submitted here. This site can be a helpful tool to get answers specific to your situation or to submit requests to the VA (for new COEs, etc.) without having to call the VA.
  • Benefit Program Comparison chart
    Comparison chart of all current GI Bill® benefit programs

Contact Information

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at