Military/Veterans | Minneapolis College of Art and Design


Are you an active duty member of the military or veteran interested in applying to MCAD?  To find answers to commonly asked questions and links to additional resources, please review this information.

I have GI Bill® benefits to use for tuition and fees. How do I use them?

To be able to use your GI Bill® benefits, you will need to provide documentation of your benefits to the School Certifying Official at MCAD’s Records Office. Most often, this documentation will need to be a copy of a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once the School Certifying Official has the appropriate documentation, they can certify your benefits for use in the following semester.

What is the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and how do I get it?

The Certificate of Eligibility provides a detailed explanation of your benefits, including your benefit percentage, months of eligibility, etc. To obtain your COE, you will need to complete the Veteran’s Online Application. Upon review of your application and determination of your benefit eligibility, the VA will send your COE to you, typically within 2-4 weeks, although processing time is at the discretion of the VA.

I used my benefits at another school prior to attending MCAD. Do I need to let the VA know?

Yes, you will need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form (VA Form 22-1995).

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program and how do I qualify?

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows colleges and universities to contribute a specified amount toward an eligible student’s tuition and fees. In general, to qualify, you must be eligible for the maximum benefit (100% benefit rate) under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33).

Are my books and/or housing costs covered by my GI Bill® benefits?

It depends on your designated GI Bill® chapter and specific qualifications. Typically benefit recipients will receive a stipend for books and supplies; some will also receive a monthly housing allowance. This information will be detailed on your COE.

How are my benefits paid out?

Method of payment depends on your specified benefit program. For example, under Chapter 33, benefit funding for tuition and fees is paid directly to the school. Under Chapter 35, monthly payments are provided directly to recipients upon verifying enrollment every month.

I’m very confused about the whole process. What should I do?

The process can be confusing. Please contact the MCAD School Certifying Official with any questions or concerns related to your GI Bill® benefits. 

Benefit Checklist

  • Obtain documentation (i.e. COE, NOBE, etc.) of your benefit eligibility, which can be done by completing the Veteran’s On-Line Application or requesting documentation through your unit.
  • Provide a copy of the documentation of your benefits to the MCAD School Certifying Official prior to the semester in which you would like to use them. Please keep the original for your own documentation.
  • Check your email for further instruction on any additional forms that you may need to submit.
  • Once everything is completed, the School Certifying Official will let you know that you are in good standing for the upcoming semester and your benefits will be certified.

Important Links

  • Veterans Online Application
    The application most GI Bill® recipients need to complete to obtain a COE.
  • GI Bill FAQ's
    This site can be a helpful tool to get answers specific to your situation or to submit requests to the VA (for new COEs, etc.) without having to call the VA.
  • Benefit Program Comparison chart
    A comparison chart of all current GI Bill® benefit programs.

Contact Information

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at